Apr 6, 2009

Windows Causes Upside Down Monitor

Question: HELP!! My monitor is displaying upside down! Even after I restart!

Answer: Windows does some things that are great. This is NOT one of them. What are they, you ask? Not now kid, I'm talking.

What did you do wrong? Absolutely nothing. Windows XP and Windows VISTA has an option which is originally set for tablet PCs. This is a feature in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition. Which makes sense. But it looks like Intel copied the keystroke for the same “feature” in their video card drivers. I can’t think of a good reason why anyone would need an always-on keystroke for this on a desktop PC.

When creating a keystroke-mapped feature that only 1% of customers will want to use and the other 99% are going to be confused by, put in a menu option to disable it and have it disabled by default.

Often, this will happen with a mis-key.

The Ctrl-Alt-Direction key sequence is supposed to be used for changing your workspace. On my computer at work it changes the screen orientation.

Ctrl-Alt-Up - right side up
Ctrl-Alt-Right - 90 degrees
Ctrl-Alt-Down - 180 degrees
Ctrl-Alt-Left - 270 degrees

(If that doesn’t work, try Ctrl-Shift-R)

To fix the issue press Ctrl-Alt-Up. To permanently fix the problem go to:

Start >> Control Panel >> Display >> Settings >> Advanced

Where it is after that it dependent upon your video card.

Graphic Design Raleigh

No comments: